An air fryer makes meals faster with less fuss and great flavor!
Air fryer chicken legs take less than 5 minutes to prepare and cook up extra juicy with crispy skin. So easy!
Simply season, place in the air fryer basket, and hit the start button. Chicken legs in the air fryer are picnic-perfect in minutes!
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Like most air fryer recipes, chicken cooks quickly and easily and comes out deliciously juicy!
- Less than 5 minutes prep and clean-up is a breeze.
- 3 ingredients, chicken, a drizzle of oil and your favorites spice mix or seasonings.
- These cook in about half of the time of baked chicken legs.
- This simple recipe works on thighs, quarters, drumsticks, and wings, too!
- Dark meat stays incredibly tender and juicy while the skin gets extra crispy.
New to Air Frying?
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Chicken legs are the thigh and drumstick combined, making them a larger portion for bigger appetites. This recipe uses bone-in and skin on chicken. A drizzle of oil helps the seasoning stick and the skin get crispy.
This recipe works with chicken thighs or as an air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe, cooking time will for drumsticks and thighs is closer to 22 minutes.
SEASONING: Below I’ve included our favorite mix of spices to toss the chicken with and we sometimes add a sprinkle of onion powder too. You can use your favorite premade chicken seasoning but some can be quite salty. For homemade, try DIY Chicken Seasoning or Lemon Pepper Seasoning!
PRO TIP: Add a tiny pinch of corn starch to homemade seasonings to keep them from clumping and to help adhere to foods.
How to Air Fry Chicken Legs
- Pat chicken dry and drizzle with oil. Generously season.
- Place pieces in a single layer in a preheated air fryer, skin side down, & cook (per recipe below).
- Flip & continue cooking until the internal temperature reads 165°F.
No air fryer? No problem! Bake chicken legs in the oven at 400°F for 40-45 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel so the seasonings adhere and the skin crisps better.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer, heat needs to circulate all around the food. Cook in batches if needed and keep warm under foil or in the oven. Heat all of the cooked chicken for 3 minutes before serving.
- Cooking skin side down for most of the time keeps the skin from burning.
- Chicken legs will continue to cook after they’ve been removed from the air fryer. Let them rest before serving so the juices stay sealed in.
More Air Fryer Chicken
Did you love this Air Fryer Chicken Legs recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
These air fryer chicken legs are tender & juicy on the inside, seasoned & crispy on the outside!
Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Drizzle olive oil over chicken legs and generously season with chicken seasoning, garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
Place the chicken legs in a single layer in the air fryer basket, skin side down, and cook for 20 minutes.
Flip the legs over and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until the legs reach 165°F.
Homemade Chicken Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Ensure legs aren’t too crowded so air can circulate around them. Do not overlap.
Calories: 242, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 82mg, Potassium: 207mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 115IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 19mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course Chicken, Dinner, Entree, Main Course