Sweet, savory, healthy, and perfectly delicious!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a simple side. Cubes of sweet potato are tossed with olive oil and a few simple seasonings before being roasted to perfection.
Tender inside with a crisp and caramelized outside, this side dish is extra easy to make. Simply peel, cube, season, and roast.
An Easy Sweet Potato Side
Much like our usual roasted potatoes, there is no need for fancy ingredients or cooking methods when it comes to preparing these.
- Season these to be sweet or savory.
- Prep can be done days ahead of time, before serving simply toss them in the oven.
- These are great served hot out but leftovers are amazing added to salads (like Kale salad), pasta salads or to add to quinoa salad.
How to Prepare Sweet Potatoes
To Peel or Not to Peel? I do eat the skins of baked sweet potatoes and the skins would be fine in this recipe too. While there is no need to peel them before roasting I usually do.
- Peel the skin or scrub well if you want to leave the skin on.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes
- Season well per the recipe below (and add olive oil to help them crisp)
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
If you want to make roasted sweet potato wedges or fries, then simply cut them into the appropriate shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat: Preheat the oven.
- Season: Toss with olive oil and season (per recipe below).
- Roast: Bake in until the inside is soft and the outside is golden and crispy!
While sweet potato casserole is usually on the sweeter side (with marshmallows or pecans), I more often season roasted sweet potatoes on the savory side.
- Savory: Thyme or cumin and chili powder pair well with sweet potato. If using savory spices, enjoy leftover chunks as sweet potato tacos!
- Sweet: Add a dash of brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Orange zest, lemon zest, or warm spices (like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice) can be added.
How Long to Roast Sweet Potatoes
Roast cubed sweet potato cubes for 35-40 minutes in a 400˚F oven. If you are preparing roasted sweet potato fries or wedges, cook about 25-35 minutes in a 400˚F oven (depending on how thick they are cut).
Sweet Potatoes can be cubed and baked at a lower temperature. Note that times can vary slightly based on the size/shape potatoes are cut.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
- Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes
- Bake at 400°F for 35-40-50 minutes
- Parchment paper makes for easier clean-up but I find they crisp much better when cooked directly on the sheet pan.
- If you’re cutting into larger pieces or wedges, cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- To prepare ahead of time, toss with seasonings in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Cook just until caramelized on the outside and fork-tender inside.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Did you enjoy these Roasted Sweet Potatoes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet and savory, these tender roasted sweet potatoes are going to be a family favorite!
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut potatoes into 1″ cubes and toss with olive oil and seasonings.
Roast on a baking sheet for 35-40 minutes or until tender, stirring after the first 20 minutes.
Serve hot with sour cream or cool and add to salad
If you’re cutting into larger pieces or wedges, cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Cook just until caramelized on the outside and fork-tender inside.
Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes
Bake at 400°F for 35-40-50 minutes
Calories: 258, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 125mg, Potassium: 764mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 32175IU, Vitamin C: 5.4mg, Calcium: 68mg, Iron: 1.4mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course Side Dish