Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
I’m a huge fan of seafood for its many health benefits and shrimp is one of my favorites. I love finding new ways to use shrimp in easy, healthy meals (and you know how I love quick and easy meals!). This shrimp poblano taco recipe checks all of my boxes. It’s simple to make but has a lot of distinct flavors and feels like a special restaurant meal. I love making it on busy weeknights when everyone is tired but we want something delicious to eat.
Healthy Tacos for the Win!
Tacos are a favorite for many (including my family!), so creating healthy tacos is a must. Tacos are pretty simple to upgrade actually. I use healthy cooking oil (like coconut, avocado, or olive oil) instead of poor quality vegetable oils.
I also use healthy meat from healthy animals (we often get this from Wellness Meats).
The spices and vegetables that go with tacos are always a healthy choice so there’s nothing to change there.
Finally, the tortillas are often the hardest thing to upgrade. Since we don’t eat grains, I usually use lettuce wraps, a grain-free tortilla like these, or I make homemade tortillas.
How to Make Shrimp Poblano Tacos
As I mentioned, these tacos are incredibly simple to make. Here are the basic steps:
- Mix the salsa ingredients and set aside (this helps allow the flavors to meld).
- Mix the crema ingredients and set aside (again, to let flavors meld).
- Cook shrimp with seasonings and vegetables.
- Assemble tacos and top with salsa and crema.
These are so simple to make my kids often help cook the shrimp and assemble the tacos. It’s a perfect recipe for eager cooks who may not quite have the skills yet to make more advanced dishes.
Love Tacos? Taco-Inspired Recipes
One of my favorite things about tacos is that they can be very versatile. Change a few of the ingredients and you have an entirely new (and delicious) meal. Here are some taco recipes to try:
- Tex-Mex Lettuce Wrap Tacos – This recipe is incredibly simple and you can change it up by adding different toppings to it.
- Taco Scramble – This recipe adds the flavor of tacos to a simple scramble. It’s great for breakfast or dinner and includes a lot of fresh veggies!
- Fish Taco Salad – If you’re avoiding grains, this recipe is an easy way to get the flavors of fish tacos without the tortillas.
- Fish Tacos in Cabbage Leaves – Another option is to serve fish tacos in cabbage leaves. Cabbage has a lot of nutrients, so they’re a great alternative to grain tortillas.
- Mexican Beef and Rice Bowls – Another simple recipe, this one is great when you don’t want to worry about tortillas or lettuce wraps. This one cooks in the instant pot and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Chicken Fiesta Salad – Salads are a great way to get the flavors of tacos without the mess. This one is delicious with homemade guacamole and can easily be made in a mason jar for on-the-go meals.
While these recipes are about as simple as it gets, sometimes I don’t have the time or energy even for an easy meal. If I’m craving tacos but don’t have the time or energy I throw together a quick Mexican inspired leftover meal instead. I’ll toss some homemade taco seasoning onto leftover chicken or beef and top a salad with the meat and some avocado. It’s delicious!
Shrimp Poblano Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
Pan-seared chili lime shrimp with poblanos and onion served in tortillas with kiwi salsa and lime crema.
To make the kiwi salsa
Make the salsa by mixing together 2 tablespoons of the diced onion, the tomatoes, kiwis, juice from half the lime, the cilantro, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Make the lime crema by mixing together the juice from the other half of a lime and the sour cream.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat,
Add the rest of the onion and the poblano pepper.
Saute about 10 minutes until onions soften and poblano starts to brown.
Add the shrimp and chili lime seasoning.
Cook about 8 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked.
Serve in tortillas topped with salsa and crema.
Try serving these as lettuce wraps if you don’t do tortillas.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 301mg | Sodium: 1057mg | Potassium: 514mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1483IU | Vitamin C: 83mg | Calcium: 236mg | Iron: 3mg
Do you love a good shrimp taco? What’s your favorite way to make them?