How Much Do YouTubers Make?
The average YouTuber makes $0.18 per view, which equates to around $18 for every 1,000 video views.
There you are, sitting in bed with your phone flipped sideways and headphones in, watching one of your favorite artists’ VEVO channels, a makeup tutorial, a “how-to” video, or one of many pranking channels you can’t get enough of. At first, you probably think these people upload their content for free. And sure, they might have started out that way in their early days, but we’re here to tell you that some of YouTube’s most-watched channels are making money—and a lot of it. So, exactly how much do YouTubers make? That’s what we’re going to tell you.
If you’re wondering how much money YouTubers make, you’re in the right place. We’ll go over the average YouTube pay rate and tips and tricks on how to create a successful YouTube channel. All you have to do is keep reading.
How Much Do YouTubers Make Per View?
Curious about how much money YouTubers make per view? According to a variety of sources, YouTubers can make anywhere between $0.01 to $0.03 per view with AdSense, with an average of $0.18 per view. However, the amount of money YouTube.com will pay depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- The number of views your video receives
- The number of clicks an ad receives
- Ad quality
- Video length
How Much Money Do YouTubers Make Every 1,000 Views?
With the average YouTube pay rate hovering between $0.01 and $0.03 for an ad view, a YouTuber can make around $18 per 1,000 ad views, which comes out to $3 to $5 per 1,000 video views. Forbes also estimates that for top talent, a YouTuber can make about $5 for every 1,000 video views.
With that said, creating a YouTube channel can be a great side hustle, especially if you produce engaging content that attracts a large audience. However, getting to this point can be tough work, and we’ll get more into that later on in this post.
How Much Money Does a YouTuber Make Per Subscriber?
YouTube does not pay you based on the number of subscribers you have on your channel. Subscribers are people who choose to follow your account so that they can have easy access to your latest videos. When you post a video, it will automatically show up on their homepage.
Subscribers are valuable because they’re the ones who will most likely comment, like, and share your videos with even more people. That means you can gain more views and potentially more YouTube money if you place the right ads. So, while YouTube does not pay you based on the number of subscribers you have, they are integral to the number of views your videos receive.
How Much Money Can a YouTuber Make Per Video?
The amount of money a YouTuber can make per video depends on a variety of factors, such as the number of views they accumulate and how many Google ads that are displayed throughout their videos. Using Forbes’s estimated pay rate of $5 per 1,000 views, a YouTube video with 1,000,000 views can make upward of $5,000, which makes being a modern-day influencer a pretty lucrative job! However, as previously noted, these are estimates, and some YouTubers may make more or less depending on the quality of the ad, click-through rate, and other factors.
It’s also important to note that this is also a rapidly growing industry. According to a study by eMarketer, social video ad spending will increase 20.1% by the end of 2022. That’s a $24.35 billion increase.
How Many Views Do YouTubers Need to Get Paid?
To get paid by YouTube, you first need to reach a balance of $100 or more from views. This means you’ll need to garner 20,000 views if you receive $5 per 1,000 views. To make this happen, YouTube created the YouTube Partner Program, which allows you to get paid through advertisements on your page. To be accepted into the YouTube Partner Program, you must:
- Have at least 1,000 subscribers
- Reach 4,000 valid public watch hours in the past 12 months
- Sign and agree to the terms and conditions
- Have an AdSense account
- Get reviewed and approved
Once you’re in the YouTube Partner Program, you’ll be able to start bringing in money through advertisements. This is done in two ways, either cost per thousand views (CPM) or cost per click (CPC). With CPM, you can earn money based on every 1,000 views you accumulate, while with CPC, you can earn money based on the number of people that click on the ad placed on your page or video.
However, it’s important to note that Google will give you 68% of the revenue when displaying ads with AdSense. So, for example, if a video generates $1,000 from AdSense revenue, you will receive $680.
What Other Ways Do YouTubers Make Money?
Ad placements aren’t the only way YouTubers make money and earn additional income. A YouTuber’s salary comes from a variety of other sources. Here are some other options to supplement a YouTuber’s income:
- Affiliate links: Have you ever watched a video of a YouTuber reviewing a product? How about one where a YouTuber throws in the name of their “favorite brand”? If so, you’ve experienced affiliate links. Affiliate links involve a YouTuber reviewing or mentioning a product, such as makeup, or a service, such as marketing software. When a viewer clicks on the link located in the video description and makes a purchase, the YouTuber will earn a percentage of that purchase.
- Merchandise: Whether you follow a popular gamer or a day-to-day vlogger, you’ve probably noticed they opened up shop and created apparel for their loyal fans to purchase. YouTubers who have a large following often create a brand out of their channel and sell things such as shirts, bags, hats, and accessories.
- Sponsorship: With over 2 billion monthly users and 15 billion daily views, YouTube is the most widely used video-viewing platform today. And, if you’re a big-time YouTuber with a strong following, companies are going to want to partner with you. Famous YouTubers also make their money through brand sponsorships. You might be surprised by how many brands are happy to pay YouTubers to review or promote their products and increase their sales.
Who Are The Top Paid YouTubers?
So, how much do YouTubers get paid? Now that you know how they’re getting paid, you may be curious about how much money they bring home every year. Take a look at 2021’s top-ten YouTuber salaries:
|Rhett and Link
If YouTube has proven anything over the past decade, it’s that the platform is a great tool for self-motivated people looking to take their career into their own hands. Because there’s almost nothing like having a job you’re passionate about, all while being able to share it with the entire world.
More FAQs About How Much Do YouTubers Make
Here are some commonly asked questions surrounding YouTube earnings:
The average YouTuber salary for those with at least 1 million subscribers is $60,000 per year.
A video with advertisements and 1 million views can pay a YouTuber between $2,000-$3,000.
On average, YouTubers can make $18 for every 1,000 ad views.
MrBeast is now the richest YouTuber, earning $54 million in 2021.
On average, YouTubers with 100,000 subscribers can make between $600-$1,000 per week, bringing in between $2,400-$4,000 per month.
YouTuber do not get paid based on how many subscribers follow their account. Ad viewership is the main source of revenue for content creators on YouTube.