Sausage stuffing is a delicious variation of our favorite stuffing recipe.
In this recipe, a savory stuffing is baked with pork sausage, onions, and savory herbs.
- Prep ahead – This sausage stuffing recipe can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time. Pair it with turkey, chicken, or pork chops with homemade gravy.
- It’s versatile – Change up the textures and flavors in this recipe by mixing in chopped nuts, dried fruit, or other veggies.
Ingredients for Sausage Stuffing
Sausage – Any ground pork sausage will work, I prefer breakfast sausage but mild or hot Italian sausage is also a great option.
Bread Cubes – Buy cubes or dry your own bread. Sandwich bread (any variety), sourdough, or even cornbread will add flavor and texture.
Broth – Use boxed, canned, or homemade chicken or turkey broth to moisten the crumbs.
Variations – Celery and onion add a traditional savory flavor to the stuffing. You can add other vegetables or fruits. Try fried sliced mushrooms, cooked apples, fresh or dried cranberries, chunks of roasted butternut squash, toasted walnuts or pecans, and even a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
PRO TIP: Make your own dried bread cubes by either spreading them on a baking sheet and letting them air-dry overnight or bake them for 15-20 minutes in an oven set to 250°F.
How to Make Sausage Stuffing
- Brown sausage in a skillet and save the drippings.
- Add butter to the pan and cook the onion, celery, garlic, and seasonings per the recipe below.
- Toss bread cubes, sausage, and broth until moistened.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and bake.
How to Store Sausage Stuffing
- Keep leftover sausage stuffing covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in the microwave.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven in a foil-covered dish at 325°F until heated through.
- Use up leftover stuffing in homemade stuffed mushroom appetizers or add to pork chops or chicken thighs.
Did you make this Sausage Stuffing recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Sausage Stuffing Recipe
This sausage stuffing recipe is the perfect side dish for any holiday dinner.
Preheat the oven to 375˚F
In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Transfer the sauasage to a bowl, reserving the drippings.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the drippings. Add onion, celery, garlic, and poultry seasoning and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, add dried bread cubes, cooled sausage, onions mixture, and fresh herbs. Toss to combine.
Add 1 cup of broth, gently tossing it with the bread, and let it sit briefly to absorb. Add more broth as needed to moisten the bread cubes, you may not need all of the broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place in a 2 ½ qt casserole dish and drizzle with ¼ cup melted butter.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until golden.
Calories: 334 | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 729mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 262IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.