Air Fryer Fried Chicken recipe is juicy on the inside with crispy crunchy skin!
Bone in chicken pieces are marinated to tender perfection and tossed in a simple flour breading. With light spritz of oil, the chicken cooks in an air fryer to crispy perfection.
It is quick to make without the fuss or muss of a deep fryer meaning less fat, calories, and mess with all of the flavor.
Crispy Air-Fried Chicken
- The air fryer means less fat (without the hassle of deep frying).
- It comes out with crispy skin and juicy meat.
- It’s easy to prep ahead and air fry just before serving.
- Air fryer fried chicken cooks in less time than oven fried with just a little spritz of oil.
Chicken – This recipe works best with bone-in and skin-on chicken pieces, rather than boneless. It does work for other pieces like chicken thighs, skinless chicken breast, wings, legs, or tenders but the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Marinade – A buttermilk mixture with hot sauce combined with garlic powder makes the meat extra tender and flavorful. Tangy, not spicy, and a little bit garlicky!
Coating – Cornmeal and flour are combined with garlic, black pepper, and spices and seasonings!
How to Air Fry Fried Chicken
Fried chicken is one of those entrées that the air fryer cooks so perfectly!
- Marinate chicken for at least ½ hour & up to 24 hours.
- Dredge chicken in the flour/cornmeal mixture and spray well with spray oil or cooking spray.
- Air fry in a single layer until crispy turning the chicken halfway.
Air Fryer Chicken Tips
- No Air Fryer? Cook fried chicken in the oven instead of the air fryer.
- If using boneless chicken, cook time can be reduced. Use a thermometer and cook just until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Ensure chicken is in a single layer and there is a little bit of space between each piece to allow the air to circulate.
- If needed, cook chicken in batches. Heat all of the chicken at 400°F for 4 minutes before serving.
- To reheat air fryer fried chicken while keeping it crispy, air fry at 400°F for 5-7 minutes depending on the thickness.
- Alternatively, cut the meat off the bones and tuck it into a tasty wrap, or a pot pie for a whole new meal! Or make a delicious classic chicken salad sandwich.
- If stored in an airtight container or zippered bag for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Amazing Air-Fried Chicken
Did your family love this Air Fryer Fried Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Air Fryer Fried Chicken is tender & juicy on the inside, crispy and perfectly seasoned on the outside!
Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
Combine chicken, buttermilk, hot sauce, & garlic powder and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
Combine all coating ingredients in a bowl.
Remove the chicken from the marinade allowing excess to drip off.
Dip chicken in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
Place chicken on a pan or plate and generously spray with cooking spray or oil.
Place chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes.
Open the air fryer and check for any dry flour spots, spray with oil if needed. Flip chicken and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until crisp and chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove from the air fryer and season with salt and pepper.
If using boneless chicken, cook time can be reduced. Use a thermometer and cook just until the chicken reaches 165°F.
Ensure chicken is in a single layer and there is a little bit of space between each piece to allow the air to circulate.
If needed, cook chicken in batches. Heat all of the chicken at 400°F for 4 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information accounts for ⅓ of the flour mixture and ¼ of the marinade.
Calories: 500 | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 191mg | Sodium: 758mg | Potassium: 478mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 316IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.