Free trials are an excellent way to test out products and services before shelling out your hard-earned money. After all, who can resist testing a new streaming service, such as Paramount+ or YouTube TV? But you may not want to keep your subscription once the free trial is over.
Trials last for only a limited period before you need to decide whether to commit or cancel them. If you’ve finished testing a service and don’t wish to continue, here’s how to cancel your subscription so you can avoid being charged.
- 1 Consider the Cost Before Signing Up for a Free Trial
- 2 Avoid Paying for Subscriptions When Your Free Trials End
- 3 How to Cancel 15 Popular Free Trial Offers
- 3.1 1. How to Cancel an Adobe Free Trial
- 3.2 2. How to Cancel an Amazon Prime Free Trial
- 3.3 3. How to Cancel an Ancestry Free Trial
- 3.4 4. How to Cancel an Apple Music Free Trial
- 3.5 5. How to Cancel an Apple TV+ Free Trial
- 3.6 6. How to Cancel an Audible Free Trial
- 3.7 7. How to Cancel an Avast Internet Security Free Trial
- 3.8 8. How to Cancel a FuboTV Free Trial
- 3.9 9. How to Cancel a Hulu Free Trial
- 3.10 10. How to Cancel a Paramount+ Free Trial
- 3.11 11. How to Cancel a PlayStation Now Free Trial
- 3.12 12. How to Cancel a Showtime Free Trial
- 3.13 13. How to Cancel a Starz Free Trial
- 3.14 14. How to Cancel a YouTube Premium Free Trial
- 3.15 15. How to Cancel a YouTube TV Free Trial
Consider the Cost Before Signing Up for a Free Trial
Signing up for a free trial is a great way to test out a product or service without spending any money. But they can end up costing you if you’re not careful.
Even if you think you’ll definitely cancel the service before your free trial is over, be cautious about signing up for something that doesn’t fit into your budget. You don’t want to fall in love with a service only to have no choice but to cancel it because you can’t afford it. And you don’t want to overdraft your account in the event that you don’t end up canceling in time.
In addition to hoping you don’t cancel, companies also want to make sure they actually get paid. Though a free trial shouldn’t cost you anything, you may see a pending charge or pre-authorization on your account, which is basically the company’s way of verifying that your account is legit.
Avoid Paying for Subscriptions When Your Free Trials End
One way to avoid going past a subscription’s free trial period is to cancel right after signing up. You won’t have to worry about remembering to do it at the end of the week or month or whenever the trial ends.
However, it’s important to note: Do this only if the company will continue providing the service through the end of the trial period. Some don’t and will cut you off as soon as you submit your cancellation. Then you’ve wasted the opportunity to test out the service.
Using a virtual credit card is another tactic to avoid paying for subscriptions past the trial period. Virtual credit cards are credit card numbers issued by some banks, credit card companies and independent financial companies. (You don’t actually get a physical card.) These virtual cards often are restricted to a one-time use or have a short expiration period, which makes them favorable to people signing up for free trials.
Then there’s always the strategy of simply canceling your free trial right before it ends. Set a reminder (or two) to cut your ties with the service before payment becomes due.
Most companies aren’t going to send you a reminder that your free period is about to be over (though Mastercard requires some merchants to do so). Mark your calendar, set an alert on your phone or do whatever you need to remember to cancel.
Regularly review your monthly bank statements or credit card statements so you can catch any unexpected charges — like a subscription you forgot to cancel.
Make sure you read over the cancellation policy when you sign up for a free trial. Some companies require you to submit cancellation requests a day or two before the start of the first billing period. Generally, when you log into your account, there’s an option to cancel under the section for billing or subscription management. There will probably be multiple prompts to convince you not to cancel, but don’t let them sway you.
How to Cancel 15 Popular Free Trial Offers
We browsed the cancellation policies of several popular services to get instructions on how to cancel their free trials. In every case, make sure you complete all the steps to confirm your cancellation. Lots of companies send email confirmations.
These guidelines are based on canceling directly through each service. Canceling a trial you acquired through a third party — for example, a free HBO trial you signed up for through your cable provider — may require different steps.
1. How to Cancel an Adobe Free Trial
Here are the steps to cancel a free trial of Adobe.
- Go to https://account.adobe.com/plans and log into your account.
- Under your plan, click the “Manage Plan” button.
- Select the reason you want to cancel and hit “Continue.”
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
2. How to Cancel an Amazon Prime Free Trial
According to the terms and conditions for Amazon Prime, you have three business days from when your free trial converts to a paid membership to get a full refund, provided you haven’t used any of the Prime benefits during that three-day period.
However, to cancel your trial before it switches to the paid version, visit this page and click the “End Membership” button.
3. How to Cancel an Ancestry Free Trial
According to Ancestry Support, your free trial ends automatically once you cancel it, even if additional days were remaining in the trial period. Cancel Ancestry’s free trial by following these steps.
- Log into www.ancestry.com.
- Select your name or username in the top right corner and click on “Account Settings.”
- Go to the “Membership” section and click “Cancel Subscriptions.”
4. How to Cancel an Apple Music Free Trial
Cancel your Apple Music free trial by following the steps below.
- Visit the Apple Support webpage.
- Click “Cancel a Subscription.”
- Choose “Apple Music,” then select “Cancel Subscription.”
5. How to Cancel an Apple TV+ Free Trial
Cancel your Apple TV+ free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to tv.apple.com and log in to your Apple account.
- Click on the account icon, then select “Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Subscriptions” and choose “Manage.”
- Select “Cancel Subscription.”
6. How to Cancel an Audible Free Trial
Here’s how to cancel your free trial of Audible.
- Log in to your account at www.audible.com.
- Go to “Account Details” and then “Account Settings.”
- Click on “Cancel My Membership.”
7. How to Cancel an Avast Internet Security Free Trial
See the steps below to cancel your free Avast trial before you get charged.
- Log into your Avast account.
- Click on the “Subscriptions” tile and click “Unsubscribe” for the subscription you want to cancel.
- Click “Continue” when asked if you’re ready to unsubscribe.
- Select a reason for unsubscribing and then click “Unsubscribe.”
See here for additional instructions on how to cancel if you signed up using a different order distributor.
8. How to Cancel a FuboTV Free Trial
Cancel your FuboTV free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to fubo.tv and log in to your account.
- Click on the profile icon, then select “My Account.”
- On the “My Account” screen select “Subscription and Billing.”
9. How to Cancel a Hulu Free Trial
- Visit www.hulu.com and log in or open the app on your computer or mobile browser.
- Choose the “Cancel” option under the “Account” page.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
10. How to Cancel a Paramount+ Free Trial
Cancel your Paramount+ free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to paramountplus.com and click on your username.
- Click on the “Account” option.
- Scroll down and click “Cancel Subscription.”
11. How to Cancel a PlayStation Now Free Trial
Cancel your PlayStation Now free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to the “Account Management” page for PlayStation.
- Choose the “Subscription” option from the left-hand menu.
- Select “Cancel Subscription” next to “PlayStation Now.”
12. How to Cancel a Showtime Free Trial
Follow these steps to cancel your free trial of Showtime via your web browser.
- Go to www.showtime.com and log in.
- Go to “Account Settings” from your profile icon.
- Click on “Your Account” and then “Cancel Your Subscription.”
See here for information about how to cancel your subscription through third parties.
13. How to Cancel a Starz Free Trial
- Log into www.starz.com from your web browser.
- Click on the user icon in the upper right and select “Settings.”
- Select “My Subscription” and then “Cancel My Subscription.”
If you’ve started a Starz subscription via a third-party provider, check out the “How Do I Cancel?” guide on Starz’s website for additional information.
14. How to Cancel a YouTube Premium Free Trial
Cancel your YouTube Premium free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to the Google Support page.
- Hit the “Cancel Now” button.
15. How to Cancel a YouTube TV Free Trial
Cancel your YouTube TV free trial by following the steps below.
- Go to tv.youtube.com and sign in to your account.
- Go to “Settings” and then to “Membership.”
- Choose “Manage” and then click on “Cancel.”
Check out Google’s support page for additional information about canceling on an Android or Apple mobile device.
Nicole Dow is a former senior writer at The Penny Hoarder. Michael Archambault is a senior writer at The Penny Hoarder.